AISD and the Austin Fire Department responded to smoke emanating from the crawl space near the Central Plant at Bowie HS last night just after 8:00 pm. A contractor had been working in under the G/H building while installing new pipework to continue HVAC improvements related to work from the 2013 bond. The contractor took the necessary safety precautions during this process, however we now believe that a small ember lodged in some old insulation. At no time did the insulation ignite. The smoldering insulation was noticed late yesterday evening and AFD responded. AFD extinguished the smoldering insulation, watered down and inspected the entire area and stayed on watch until 4:00 am this morning. The piping insulation does not contain Asbestos. AISD commissioned an outside consultant to test the material prior to work commencing. This is a requirement from the City of Austin prior to receiving a work permit.
They have given the all clear for the school to be occupied.
We would like thank AFD, AISD Police Department and the AISD Service Center personnel for their quick response and monitoring of the school overnight to ensure our students, faculty and staff are safe.